Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The trouble with technology...

is that it doesn't always work the way you think it will. One of the first assignments I had my students do required that they watch a video on YouTube. As the students fired up the computers for the first time, I was excited about their assignment, then they all started saying, "YouTube is blocked!", "I can't get in!", and "This won't work!"  Of course it won't work, only teachers have YouTube unblocked, duh! I quickly pulled up the video on my computer and had them watch it on the SmartBoard before proceeding with the rest of the assignment.   I have avoided further issues with blocked content by having a student in the NCVPS class I monitor check out assignments before I give them.  Other than that, my problems have been minimal.  I've had days when the wi-fi is slow or when the laptops don't get plugged in, but I don't consider those to be serious issues.  As far as avoiding these issues next year, I'm sure I'll avoid most pitfalls, but I'll find myself doing some quick troubleshooting when something doesn't work the way it should. Unfortunately, as Scotty McCreery says, "nobody loves trouble as much as me."  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment